Sunday, December 12, 2010

Honor Our Parents


"Honor our parents" has a new meaning to me. Jaxson is now 9 and Shakur is 6 we are in the beginning stages of school years and personality challenges. I watch in awe as my boys grow and develop their personalities. I love to imagine what kind of men they will grow to be. How they will manage work, families and life.

Jaxson has always been sensitive to his surroundings. He is in tune with everyone's needs and has a gift with meeting everyone with a kind and nurturing heart. Shakur with his famous saying " I live to love" its the truth; he is pure in heart and unconditional. He strives to have everyone smiling and entertained. Of course there is so much more to them these are just their simple surface personalities that are easy to see and describe. As their mother I would love to take all the credit and say I raised them to be so amazing but truth is I know that these are gifts from God. This is God's technical engineering to guide them through their paths of life. They are blessed with a combined synergy that will support one another for the rest of their lives.

Each day our family transforms and with each growing moment I find myself mocking my Mother's words. Each time I tell my kids the words my mother once yelled..I get this slight cringe in my neck* I mean told to me (shh she never yelled) . I cringe because I use to think, how could she be so uptight and upset? Life just wasn't that serious! Well , well guess who gets it now. Yep, I get it. I recall loving to listen to this rock band called U2 and my Mother and I were in the car and she patiently listened to most of the c.d until the song Sunday bloody Sunday came on. "Sunday Bloody Sunday" is noted for its militaristic drumbeat, harsh guitar, and melodic harmonies.This is when her fuse blew and she yelled at me to turn it off. It has nearly been 16 years since that day but for some reason I never forgot how that made me feel. I just wanted her to like my music. Here I am 32 now and as much as I love U2 I don't think I could stand to sit through the song myself. I chuckle every time I feel this way about a song my boys want to listen to cause I recall this day with my Mom over and over. At this point I have many of these "Mom said it before me" experiences. It has created many moments of humility and self reflection. This for me gives new meaning to " honor thy parents".

No comments:

Post a Comment