Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fear cripples our potential


Fear gives us the opportunity to fail. Fear cripples the mind from ever reaching in front of ourselves. It blinds us from recognizing our potentials. Most people view all failures as wrong or harmful when most of it is necessary and helpful. My greatest fear of failure is the dependency. Having to ride on someone elses coat tail until I can get back up. I have always been good at supporting any and everyone else dreams and inspirations. I suppose that was my safety net; to live vicariously through another but still have the opportunity to experience success. Time and time again I watched many people cripple under pressure or not really believe their full potential. Prematurely they would pull back not understanding just how close they were to success.

Success has many faces. Relationships, monetary gain, commitment to God, schooling, new career path or just kicking an old habit are a few of many success' and failures I have experienced or been a part of. Balance is vital. Beware of unbalanced values in your life. Beware when any one value however benign in itself; becomes too powerful. Over-achievers destroy their own peace of mind and the lives of those who work for them. People too attached to “goodness” and morality become self-righteous. Those whose values for building close relationships become unbalanced, slide into smothering their friends and family with constant expressions of affection and demands for love in return. Balance counts more than you think. A little selfishness is valuable even in the most caring person. And a little failure is essential to preserve everyone’s perspective on success.

I write you these things as they become my life's lesson. Sometimes it is my second or third time learning these lessons. Truth is as much as I fight to keep my mind sane while MS cripples my body, I am also letting MS cripple my mind and ability to move forward. It could be as little as having a fear of walking because I had one bad fall. Now it is a fear of relationships and careers because I can't perform at a perfect potential. I have good cheerleaders and people that see what I am capable of and all I can do is meet them with " I can't", " not now", " it's to late". Geez you might as well bury me now; right? Truth is I don't have the answers nor do I always have the strength and each task is exhausting. Rejection hurts! I can, I know I can do many things people are telling me but I am just scared.

I might not be ready to overcome all my fears at once but I am ready to live at my full potential.
" How to train a (dragon --> I mean) my mind". I am hoping to find success and comfort so I guess I will update you as I go along.

3 comments: